Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stanage Edge


I'm King of the World

Yesterday I had a day out walking along Stanage Edge, according to Wikipedia a "gritstone escarpment in the English Peak District". It's not far from the village of Hathersage - which I'd been to last month for a swim - and armed with an Ordance Survey map (OL1), a magnetic compass (in the event fortunately not required), a pair of borrowed waterproof overtrousers (since I'd left mine back in Warrington), and a generous packed lunch from my Mum (very tasty). So I felt pretty well prepared.

I had a couple of possible routes printed out: one from the Guardian (which I think is actually from a company called WalkingWorld; see a version here, without the map) and another from a great site called Walking Britain (in the event I didn't use this one but it had been useful to see it before setting off).

Getting to Hathersage was pretty straightforward but unfortunately there didn't seem to be a direct walking route to Hook Car (where my Stanage Edge route was supposed to begin) so it took me a while before I was even at "the start". Never mind - once I'd ascended the path up to the escarpment I felt like it had been worth the journey just to soak up the views over the Hope Valley. The sun had come out and the air was fresh as I set off north along the edge. Aaaah!

It turned out it was lucky that I'd borrowed those waterproofs, as about 40 minutes later the skies darkened and the views disappeared for a while as the downpour began. There was no shelter so I simply carried on and waited for the rain to blow over while I took a wrong turning (ending up below the escarpment again) and then wandered through an area littered with old millstones before managing to find a way back up again. Back at the top and with blue skies restored at least for the time being, I took a break for lunch. The views are fantastic and I was a little sorry that I was on my own.

Lunch over it was time to press on a bit further along the edge, below doubling back on a path that took me back to the littered millstones and through another heavy shower (both seemed familiar from earlier in the day), before turning off in the direction of Hathersage. I think that the views of Stanage Edge at this point from "ground level" were also well worth seeing - from below the cliff faces looked like they'd been constructed from huge cubes of stone.

Finally after a long walk across several fields full of grazing sheep I arrived back in Hathersage. I'd entertained vague hopes of fitting in a swim in the outdoor pool there, which I think would have been a great way to finish off the day, but unfortunately I'd arrived at the end of the public swimming session. So instead I got a cup of tea and a flapjack at the cafe and then headed back home on the train. It had still been a great day out, and I'm really glad that I went and got some more use out of my walking boots!

Big thanks to Mum and Dad if you're reading this, for helping me out. And you can see all my pictures on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/oblong_dog/sets/72157621749256541/ if you're interested in seeing what it looks like.

No comments: