Tuesday, July 14, 2009

London Lidothon: day 1


Tooting Bec Lido

I've completed day one of my two day trip to visit some of the pools and lidos in London, and it's been fun. The weather has been pretty good and I've really enjoyed swimming in the pools.

I'd hoped to make it to four pools today, but I suppose I underestimated how long it would take to get between them (I should have remembered from previous trips to London); also I think I made a bad transport choice between the first two pools that cost me a lot of time. But that's ok, because I still have tomorrow.

Pool #1: Pools on the Park, Richmond

I arrived at Pools on the Park around 10:40am - it's just a short walk from Richmond station so it's really convenient. The indoor pool is currently being refurbished - you could see workman wandering around inside - but the outdoor pool is still open.

The pool is heated (supposedly today to 27C) so it was very pleasant, and is divided into lanes for different levels of swimmer - I started off in the "nice and easy" lane, because basically I was there to have fun. It was great to swim on my back and see blue sky with the airplanes flying overhead (it reminded me a little of the pool at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel on the Big Island of Hawaii).

See http://www.springhealth.net/richmond/facilities.html

Pool #2: Tooting Bec Lido on Tooting Common

I took the 493 bus from Richmond to Tooting Broadway tube station, which I think turned out to be a bad choice as it took forever to get there - and then I still had to get the tube to Tooting Bec and walk to the lido, arriving around 2pm. But it was well worth the journey - the pool at the lido is an enormous expanse of blue water. At 90m long it's the biggest pool I've ever swum in, and it looks fabulous - curved toilets and shower blocks at the entrance, and rows of changing cubicles with different coloured doors lining the sides of the pool. It looks like a fabulous place to spend an afternoon.

The water is unheated and at 19C was a little on the chilly side at first. Now though I think the trick is to get in and swim on your back for a few minutes, to acclimatise and get your circulation going. After that the water doesn't feel so cold (honest!).

I swam 10 lengths (trying to avoid the hose from what appeared to be an underwater roomba, cleaning the pool floor maybe?), watching trains whizz past periodically, before getting out and having a cup of tea and a hot dog at the lido cafe. Then it was time to head off for pool #3...

See http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/LeisureandTourism/Sports/Facilities/tootinglido.htm

Pool #3: Brockwell Lido, Brockwell Park

Getting to here from Tooting Bec seemed a little involved too - tube from Tooting Bec station to Stockwell and then to Brixton, then transfer to mainline rail to Herne Hill before walking a short distance to Brockwell Park and the lido.

Brixton itself had real buzz, almost a carnival feel (even late on a Tuesday afternoon) compared to Richmond and Tooting. The lido (also known as "Brixton Beach") is a classic 1930 brick building. The pool itself is pretty big and really nice to swim in, although again unheated (the board claimed it was 21.5C but it felt colder!). There is also plenty of space beside the pool for sunbathing and quite a few people were sitting or lying down soaking up the rays.

After my swim I got a cup of tea and some tasty toast at the cafe (currently being refurbished but thankfully still open for business).

See http://www.brockwell-lido.com/

At this point it was too late to make it to the Serpentine, so after some more messing around with the underground I decided I should head back to my friends place in Datchet. They have been really great at giving me somewhere to stay and looking after me with food and drink, so a big thanks to them. Tomorrow I'll head back into London to swim in a few more places - but for now, it's time for bed!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

your post reads like an epi of the Amazing Race.

"I chose the bus, but it cost me a lot of time...I feared the worst from Phil..."

pjb said...

I wasn't thinking that at the time - I was thinking more "Argh I'm really not getting anywhere and time's slipping away!". But I think you're right.

Luckily it was a non-elimination leg!