Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Inconstant Gardener


Self-seeded flowers

I don't have a garden, I just have a paved yard. When I first moved here it looked like a bit of a sterile environment, and I remember I had this idea that I would get some big stone or terracotta pots and have some flowers to brighten it up.

Unfortunately I never got around to it, for various reasons. I'm not a natural with growing things (although I had some success one year with tomatoes), especially things that flower - maybe part of the problem is that I don't really like getting my hands dirty. Also someone warned me that the pots need regular watering, which was a problem since I was frequently away.

However every year it seems the yard takes on a life of its own, as some extremely tenancious plants appear each spring clinging to the most precarious toe-holds, and it's become a garden of sorts. They may be weeds, but they're my weeds! While it's not exactly the Chelsea Flower Show, the small flowers do have their own charm, and sometimes there are some surprises (such as the purple flowers above - I have no idea what they are, by the way).

Usually after a few weeks I reluctantly go out and pull them all up - they're not supposed to there after all, and I doubt that the landlord would approve. However when I told Kyle about it this year, she made a succint plea for clemency:

"i think your garden is fine, let your flowers be--they have gone through a lot to be where they are now."

which seems like a fair point. So for this summer I'm going to let them be, and just enjoy the view.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

yes, i think your flowers are all quite nice and are real survivors!!!