Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Man Book Club


One man book club

I've got a number of projects on the go at the moment - one is ripping my vinyl LPs to digital format, and another is to finally read the stockpile of books that I've acquired over the last few years. As you can see from the picture it's quite a collection (and that's not even all of them).

It's quite timely - not buying more books when I already have so many to choose from will definitely save money. Some were gifts from friends but most are ones that I bought myself, and I think that the selection is quite eclectic, taking in nature, philosophy, science, art, architecture, sport and so on (but interestingly not much in the way of fiction). I don't know whether this should be interpreted as the mark of a lively and open mind, or simply as an indication of a short attention span.
Maybe I'm some kind of "anti-Renaissance Man"?

The likeliest reason why most of them remained unread until now however is that not that I thought they'd be bad, but that either I'd got more interested at the time in some other topic, or I thought that they would take longer to read than my interest would sustain. But I've been pleasantly surprised and encouraged by how much I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

I think I'm making reasonable progress - so far I've averaged about a book a week over the last six weeks -
so we'll see how the project goes. It's certainly good to doing something that's both educational and economically prudent.

No comments: