Thursday, December 11, 2008

Warm weather, suddenly

Bicycle reflections

After several very cold (around 30-40F) but dry days here in New Jersey, last night and today have been wet and unseasonably mild, with temperatures reaching the mid 60s.

It seems really strange to me - back in England you just don't suddenly get spring-like weather in the middle of winter. Nobody else seems particularly perturbed - apparently it's due to southerly winds blowing (relatively) warm air up from the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe they're just enjoying while it lasts, since it's already getting colder again this evening.

In the meantime I thought that I would take advantage of the rain to get some pictures of things reflected in puddles, loosely inspired by M.C. Escher's lithograph "Three Worlds". My photos weren't ever going to be a patch on Escher's original, but it was an interesting exercise and provided an excuse to stop and look at some familiar things in a slightly different way.

The forecast for tomorrow and the rest of the week is more rain, perhaps even snow, which sounds more like winter to me. Perhaps I'm just odd but personally I prefer the colder weather. This warm stuff just doesn't seem quite right in December - and certainly not like it's nearly Christmas!

No comments: