Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back in the UK


Car rental sign at the airport

I feel like the world's worst blogger, I'm back in the UK and I feel like I hardly blogged while I was out in New Jersey. I guess I was having too much fun with Kyle! and now I'm here without her again I'm missing my Jersey Girl. (I'm also missing her fast internet connection, but I won't mention that in case I sound unromantic. Oops!)

We got a lot done while I was in the US though - as well as our vacation in Myrtle Beach, we did a lot of wedding planning. We looked at a number of different possible wedding venues trying to find somewhere that worked for us, and although at times it felt like a real struggle in the end I think we came up trumps. So our ceremony venue will be the Huisman gazebo in Belmar, which is right next to the beach, and the reception will be at the Waterview Pavilion about a mile away. The town is close to Kyle's parents and looks like a great place for my UK visitors (with a rail link to New York for those who prefer the big city).

We also did a lot of work on various ideas for invitations and other graphics, and came up with some cool stuff. In the process I've also learned a lot more about the image manipulation program Gimp, and a little about other software such as Scribus, which has been fun, and I also learned that Kyle is a real whizz at making rocking miniature laptops. (Kyle has been collecting all our wedding idea stuff together in a set on Flickr, if you want to take a look.)

We're tentatively setting the wedding date for mid-May, but we're going to wait until my visa application has come through before sending out invitations, and now I'm back in the UK I'm getting together the final documents to complete the application. The process seems long and involved but I know that the end result will be worth it - and I'm inspired by the fortune cookie message that I got at PF Changs last Friday:

Endurance and persistence

Sounds like great advice to me!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

My fast internet connection is a great reason to love me! :)